Walled in

This weekend, my dad came down and we framed out the walls of the shed.  It went surprisingly quickly, actually, despite a small snag…the 2x4s that I thought were a full 8′ long were actually 92.25″ long, cut for wall stud members (to make for an 8′ interior wall when top and bottom plates and drywall for the ceiling are taken into account).  I had planned to cut the wall studs down to make for about a 7.5′ high wall, so that wasn’t too much of a problem, but we did need 8′ lumber for top and bottom wall plates.  My dad ran off and picked up enough 8′ lumber, while I started preparing measurements.  We decided to just leave the 92.25″ studs at that length to save time, and after triple-checking measurements, cutting the framing members for the door and window, and judicious application of the pneumatic nail gun, we had four walls raised.  Even putting just a few hours here and there into it, this sort of project does not take very long…I can’t imagine spending several thousand dollars on a prefabricated shed at this point, especially since the ones I’ve seen don’t seem to be of particularly good build quality.  We’ve spent an order of magnitude less, will have a nice very sturdy shed, with a real weatherproof door and window.  I’m looking forward to the next build day!

Pictures follow…


21-DSC_0002

20-DSC_0001

22-DSC_0003
23-DSC_0004
24-DSC_0005

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>